Hotel Villa Rigacci Reggello Firenze Toscana

The Neighbourhood Places of Interest

Worth a visit:

Vallombrosa Benedict Abbey - Founded in 1038

Vallombrosa is a Benedictine abbey in the comune of Reggello in Tuscany, c. 30 km south-east of Florence, in the Apennines, surrounded by forests of beech and firs. It was founded by Giovanni Gualberto, a Florentine noble, in 1038 and became the mother house of the Vallumbrosan Order. It was extended around 1450, reaching its current aspect at the end of the 15th century. In 1529, after the looting of Charles V, the east tower was built, in the 17th century followed the wall and in the 18th century the fishing ponds. Today, the monastery is open for tourists and is selling local produce. On the 7th October 1096, Pope Urban II addressed the congregation of Vallombrosa, imploring the religious amongst them to support the cause for a crusade to the Holy Land. In particular in this sermon, he cited the need for knights, who could "restore the Christians to their former freedom"

worth a visit:

Distance Hotel Villa Rigacci: about 20 minutes by car

Hotel Villa Rigacci Reggello

Upper Arno River Valley

The upper Arno River Valley (Upper Valdarno) basin lies 30 km southeast of Florence and spreads out between the Chianti hills to the west and the Pratomagno Mountains to the east. Reggello is a rural market town in the Arno Valley, surrounded by vineyards and olive grounds and dominated by the peaks of the Pratomagno Mountains.

Distance Hotel Villa Rigacci: about 20 minutes by car

Hotel Villa Rigacci Reggello

Reggello: Pieve, Olives, Setteponti - and Masaccio

The old medieval Cascia became Reggello under Granduke Leopoldo in 1773. The territory is crossed by Setteponti road, along Pratomagno, an ancient etruscan way still existing in roman and medieval times to join Arezzo with Fiesole. Interesting churches are found in the area: Pieve di Cascia (Parish Church) is a very known roman building which has the Trittico of San Giovenale by Masaccio in the interior. Pieve di San Pietro a Pitiana dated back to the XII century, Pieve di Sant'Agata in Arfoli and the splendid Abbazia di Vallombrosa founded in 1008 by San Giovanni Gualberto and later became in 1973 Riserva Biogenetica Naturale. Reggello is known for the production of an exceptional extravirgin olive oil. Comfortable hotels, characteristic agriturismos and pleasant holiday homes await you at Reggello for passing an unforgettable holiday. In the ancient times, the territory of Reggello was crossed by Setteponti road, along Pratomagno, an ancient etruscan way still existing in roman and medieval times to join Arezzo with Fiesole and it was one of the most ancient settlement places of the Etruscans. Also the Romans used the track to transform it into a branch of the Cassia way since the understood the importance of this way.

Distance Hotel Villa Rigacci: about 10 minutes by car

Hotel Villa Rigacci Reggello

Via dei Setteponti - Along the Road of the Seven Bridges

III-II cen. a.C., old Etruscan road that used to connect Arezzo and Fiesole, paved by Romans, became a part of via Consolare Cassia vetus that, in coinciding stretch with actual Setteponti road, was (according to some stories) the road where Hannibal's army passed through during the Punic wars.
From Arezzo the provincial Sette Ponti road winds along the foothills of the Pratomagno, yielding breathtaking views over the countryside and brushing beautiful terraced vineyards which reflect perfect harmony between Man and Nature.

Worth a stop: Loro Ciuffenna and the old "Pieve of Gropina".

Distance Hotel Villa Rigacci: about 10 minutes by car

Hotel Villa Rigacci Reggello

Information Reggello